Learners credited with this course are able to read and view a variety of text types with understanding and to justify their views and responses by reference to detailed evidence from texts. After completing this course a learner should be able to cope with learning in the context of learnerships, skills programmes, other learning programmes, and adapt their style and language register to the requirements of different situations.
After successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Use a range of reading and/or viewing strategies to understand the literal meaning of specific texts.
- Use strategies for extracting implicit messages in texts.
- Respond to selected texts in a manner appropriate to the context.
- Explore and explain how language structures and features may influence a reader/viewer.
- Access and use suitable learning resources.
- Use learning strategies.
- Manage occupational learning programme materials.
- Conduct basic research, analyse and present findings.
- Function in a team.
- Reflect on how characteristics of the workplace and occupational context affect learning.
- Critically analyse texts produced for a range of purposes, audiences and contexts.
- Identify and explain the values, attitudes and assumptions in texts.
- Evaluate the effects of content, language and style on readers’/viewers’ responses in specific texts.
- Interact successfully in oral/signed communication.
- Use strategies that capture and retain the interest of an audience.
- Identify and respond to manipulative use of language.