The purpose of this course is to introduce new skills and refine your current skills in oral business communication. By working through this course you will have the opportunity to practice group communication, effective one on one communication and your presentation skills.
In the business environment we have meeting every day. They involve a lot of people and therefore cost a lot of money and it is important that you make each meeting count! This course is designed to introduce you to the preparation and procedures required in chairing a formal meeting using committee procedures.
The business environment in South Africa since the dawn of democracy in 1994 has changed dramatically. Managers can no longer simply tell employees what to do. Without realising it much a manager’s time is spent negotiating, regardless of the level of management. In the second unit standard you will learn how to negotiate effectively to facilitate a win-win situation.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Interact successfully in oral/signed language
- Use strategies that capture and retain the interest of an audience
- Identify and respond to manipulative use of language
- Respond critically yet sensitively as a listener/audience
- Analyse own responses to spoken/signed texts and adjust as required
- Use strategies to be an effective speaker/signer in sustained oral/signed interactions
- Evaluate spoken/signed discourse
- Prepare for a meeting
- Conduct a meeting
- Deal with conflict in a meeting
- Follow up on a meeting